Registration begins June 15th
Friday October 18
10am to 3pm
Skill Level: Beginner
Cost: $95 + $30 material fee
Location: First Baptist Church (kitchen) - 90 Victoria St. E
In this workshop you will learn:
- Brief introduction to natural dyes
- Types of mordant for cellulose fibres and protein fibres
- Introduction of locally sourced natural dyes
- Introduction to eco printing
- How to eco printing your garment
Student Materials: we also encourage students to bring:
- an old garment made from light toned natural fibres such as cotton, silk,
- notebook for swatches and notes or a binder with pages for notes and/or
pockets for organizing swatches.
Dyeing can be messy, so dress in paint/dye appropriate clothes and shoes
Renata Britez is mixed media artist originally from Brazil, She graduated in Textile Design program at NBCCD. Her previous experience working in graphic design industry and her interest in printing methods and pattern design leaded her to follow the path of surface design. Her goal is to explore traditional printing methods such as block printing, Shibori dyeing, and screen printing using natural dyes and fibres.
My current work, entitled Naturalis, is a line of naturally hand-dyed/eco printed locally-sourced reclaimed garments & accessories. Celebrating the beautiful rich colours found in the nature, the collection attempts to bring back traditional natural-dye techniques offering an affordable and environmentally friendly products.